Circle Sanctuary Nature Preserve is spread over 200 acres in beautiful southwestern Wisconsin, in gently-rolling terrain called the Driftless Area which was spared from the last glacial period. The Preserve features rock outcroppings, prairies, forests, oak savannas, wetlands, springs and a stream.
HOW TO VISIT
Circle Sanctuary is open to the public only during scheduled festivals & events, volunteer days and visiting days. On visiting days the land is open for self-guided hikes, meditation, Cemetery visits, and personal devotion. Circle Sanctuary Staff offer scheduled walking tours of Circle Sanctuary's sacred sites, natural habitats or Cemetery (more information below). Circle Sanctuary's Owl's Nest book and gift shop may be open for visitors for limited hours.
Tours are conducted on foot, on Circle Sanctuary's trails. Pre-registration is required. Please dress in layers, and wear sturdy supportive shoes or hiking boots.
Access to Circle Sanctuary can be restricted due to weather. In case of snow, please check www.circlesanctuary.org or call 608-924-2216 to confirm if visiting is possible. Tours may be canceled or curtailed due to weather, poor trail conditions or special events.
- You must check in at the Circle Sanctuary office upon arrival and departure.
- Visitors take responsibility for their own welfare, property and minors under their care and must sign a waiver upon their arrival. Children must be accompanied and supervised by parents at all times.
- You must depart before closing time. Bring a timepiece.
- No pets permitted.
- Stay on existing nature trails and within the boundaries of the land.
- No plantings of trees, flowers, herbs, or other plants permitted. Ask staff before bringing or placing any offerings at sacred sites.
- No fires or flames permitted. Smoking only in designated areas.
- Dispose of recyclables and trash in containers provided in the temple room.
- Do not remove or damage plants, stones, soil, wood, other materials in any area. Do not feed or approach wild creatures.
- Absolutely NO firearms, alcohol, illegal drugs, chemicals permitted.
- Cell phone service is spotty to non-existent. Do not rely on cell phones or GPS for navigation or communication.
- Regular clothing and ceremonial garb permitted. No nudity. Wear sturdy, supportive shoes and outdoor appropriate clothing.
- Nature photography for personal use permitted. Photos, audio, and video recording, reporting intended for publication and/or public distribution must be arranged with staff at least 72 hours in advance.
- Circle Sanctuary’s facilities are rustic. Porta-toilets and hand sanitizer are available for visitors. Handicapped accessible toilets and a baby changing station are available – ask staff for access.
- Donations to support the land and other work of Circle Sanctuary are appreciated and are tax deductible in the USA.