UPHOLD PAGAN RIGHTS at September 12 Celebrating Earth Spirituality Festival
On Saturday, September 12, 2009, the Celebrating Earth Spirituality Festival will be held from 10 am - 6 pm at Stroudtburg Village, an oldtime European-styled hamlet shopping area in Adamstown, Pennsylvania. A schedule of Festival activities and other info is on-line:
The Festival is being sponsored by the Reading Pagans and Witches, a non-profit organization which has been successfully sponsoring Pagan events in the region since its founding in 2004:
The intended purpose of the Celebrating Earth Spirituality Festival is to bring Pagans of many paths together for education, celebration, and community outreach.
However, this Festival is now also becoming a public stand to uphold Pagan rights and religious freedom.
Over the past week, discrimination against this event and prejudice against Paganism and the Craft has surfaced:
- Some of those who operate shops in the venue during times it has been rented by other groups have publicly announced that they will not be open during this event due to their opposition to Paganism. More details have been published in a recent article in a Lancaster County, Pennsylvania newspaper: http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/241820
- Furthermore, a group of Christian pastors opposed to the Festival and Paganism have begun a series of anti-Pagan gatherings and prayer sessions with their congregations: http://www.gatewayprayer.com/religion/. In addition, they plan to show up at the Festival as protesters.
Festival organizers, with the support of the Lady Liberty League and others, are continuing with their plans to holdthe Celebrating Earth Spirituality Festival, and they need your help!
How to Help:
(1) ATTEND: take part in some or all of the Festival. Celebrate Paganism and Pagan religious freedom throughout the day. Be part of a peaceful Pagan presence. Be polite. Dress conservatively. Don't argue with protesters.
(2) ATTUNE: spiritually connect with the Festival from wherever you are. Send blessings in advance as well as while it is going on. Send blessings of peace, understanding, protection, and success to the Festival, Festival organizers, and Festival participants.
(3) WELL WISHES: email words of support and blessings to the Festival organizers: email@example.com
(4) NETWORK: Forward this call to action to e-lists, blogs, websites, and others.
(5) STAY INFORMED: For updates, visit Lady Liberty League on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ladylibertyleag and Facebook.
Lady Liberty League is a Pagan civil rights and religious freedom organization sponsored by Circle Sanctuary.
Contact: Selena Fox, Executive Director LLL, firstname.lastname@example.org; (608) 924-2216
Pagan News Media: Thursday, September 10, 2009