Saturday December 18, 2010
at Circle Sanctuary Nature Preserve
13 miles west of Mt. Horeb, Wisconsin
10 am - 7pm
Schedule of Events
|10am||Open for arrivals|
|10 am - 1 pm||Yuletide Social
A time to meet and greet old friends and new, Share in Wassail & snacks.
|10:15 - 11:00 am||Winter Majesty Tour with Reed
Join in a brisk walk to learn about Circle's flora & fauna in wintertime
|11 am - 12:30 pm||Wreath-Making with Blodewedd
Make a Yule Wreath for your home. Bring a pair of work gloves to use. If you have some, bring lots of evergreen sprigs to use & share. If you wish, bring a bow and/or other decorations to adorn your wish. Wreath frames & some greens provided.
Please let us know if you intend to join the Wreath-Making, so that enough supplies will be available. Also, let us know if you can bring evergreen sprigs to contribute to the supply.
|1 - 2 pm||Making Merry: Saturnalia Then & Now with Selena Fox
Ancient Rome's celebration of Winter Solstice, called the Saturnalia, was a week of feasting, gifting, and revelry. Learn about the Pagan Roman Yuletide origins of customs, symbols, and lore that are part of present day Christmas and New Year's traditions. Explore ways of incorporating Saturnalia into your own Yuletide festivities.
|2 - 2:20 pm||Yuletide Music with Michael Doran
Enjoy sounds of the season.
|2:30 - 3:30 pm||Community Winter Solstice Ritual
Welcome in Winter and the New Solar Year win music, meditation, and the burning of the Yule Log in a Sacred Solstice Fire. Bring a bell to ring and/or a drum or rattle to play if you have one. Bring dried herbs to cast into the Solstice Fire. Ritual facilitated by Selena, Bob & Georgette, Brian, Reed, and others.
|4 - 5 pm||Pagan Caroling & Yuletide Gift Exchange with Father Yule
Bring a wrapped gift that has spiritual significance to you to exchange. There will be a children's gift circle and one for adults.
|5:30 - 6:30 pm||Candlelight Potluck Feast
Bring a dish of already prepared food for this potluck dinner. Bring one or more red, green, white, or gold votive candles in votive glasses to adorn the tables and to bring Yuletide blessings back home with you.
|6:30 - 7 pm||Clean-up and Farewells|
Things to bring:
- 3 or more cans of food to donate to Circle's annual food drive that benefits the local food pantry.
- Magical gift to exchange: please write your name and something about the spiritual significance of the gift on a card (so that the receiver of your gift can thank you) and wrap the card and the gift in opaque paper (that can't be seen through)
- Contribution for potluck feast. See details: http://www.circlesanctuary.org/events/potluck.html
- Red, Green, White, and/or Gold Votive candles in votive glass holders to decorate the feasting table & to bring Yuletide blessings back home.
- Work gloves to wear for Wreath Making (suggested)
- Evergreen sprigs for Wreath Making workshop (optional)
- Bow and/or other decorations for your wreath (optional)
- Bell to ring during the ritual
- Drum, rattle, or other rhythm instrument
- Stone for the Stone Circle (optional)
- Dress in holiday colors (red, green, or white), if you want.
- Crystals, stones, rocks, pebbles for indoor Yuletide altar to later be placed as offerings at the Stone Circle (optional)