A Celebration of Hearth and Harvest
September 20-21, 2008
at Circle Sanctuary Nature Preserve
near Mt. Horeb, Wisconsin
Saturday, September 20: Public Fall Equinox Celebration
10 am - 6 pm, open to adults & youth
Workshops and Activities:
- Harvest Traditions by Selena Fox
- Harvesting and preserving herbs for culinary use by Alice Pauser
- Apple Cider pressing with Reed Cockrell
- Kids activities with Peggy Burke
- Bring potluck food to share
- Overnight camping by arrangement & donation
10 AM - 6 PM
|Fall Equinox Festival|
|10 AM||Arrivals begin|
|All Day||Self-guided Nature Walks|
|10 AM - 2 PM||Apple Cider Making with Naturalist Reed Cockrell:
Help make and taste fresh apple cider. Prepare apples for pressing and take a turn at the cider press.
|11 - 11:30 AM||Welcome with Selena Fox & Alice Pauser|
|11:30 AM - 1 PM||Kids' Harvest Workshop with Peggy Burke:
learn special harvest traditions from the land with storytelling and crafts.
|Noon - 1 PM||Fall Harvest Kitchen Bundles with Herbalist Alice Pauser:
Craft and take home culinary herb bundles to hang in your kitchen for use over the winter months. Also learn how to make herb and rose flavored sugars to use in teas and baking. Take home recipes and tips on harvesting, preserving and using dried herbs.
|1:30 - 2:15 PM||Harvest Traditions and Lore with Selena Fox:
Selena will speak on the Harvest across cultures and through time.
|1:30 - 2:15 PM||Kids workshop with Peggy: Crafting harvest food.|
|2:15 - 2:45 PM||Break: Enjoy some cider, snacks and a walk on the land.|
|2:45 - 3 PM||Drumming Circle|
|3 - 4 PM||Fall Equinox Ceremony with Selena Fox and Celtic Bard Michael Doran:
Performing his new song "Mabon Comes Again", sharings about Autumn to welcome in the Fall season.
|4:15 - 5:30 PM||Harvest Home Potluck with a special dish made by the children|
|6 PM||Potluck Clean-up|
|7 - 11 PM||Community Hearthfire Night:
Bardic Circle with music, poetry, drumming and dancing around the fire. Open to Circle Sanctuary Community Members and others who wish to be part of the experience.
8 AM - 3 PM
|8:30 - 9:30 AM||Breakfast|
|9:30 - 10 AM||Equinox Circle: sharings about the Land.|
|10 AM - 3 PM||Volunteer Projects: preparation for 25th anniversary, harvesting, wood gathering.|
|12:30 - 1 PM||Lunch|
Items to Bring:
- Contribution for potluck feast to feed at least two dozen, for Saturday dinner. For details, please see our Potluck Guidelines.
- Bring apples to contribute for cider making
- Bring sterile canning jar to take some cider home with you
- Bring a mug or cup to drink cider with
- Bring a drum or rhythm instrument for the Drumming Circle - some will be available for loan
- Bring a harvest offering to give to the land during the Ceremony - a vegetable, fruit, nuts, fresh herbs, or other symbol of the harvest
- Bring a donation of canned goods for Harvest charity food drive - proceeds will go to the Barneveld food pantry to feed those in need in the local area